Thursday, February 18, 2010

Encouraged & Rebuked

During Bible time with the kids this morning working through our study on the character trait of gentleness we were in Isaiah 40 verse 11.

He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.

Obviously the study was using this Scripture to remind us of Christ's gentleness to his flock, but in light of my struggles these days with parenting and feeling like a failure...desiring so badly to change...He spoke directly to my heart this morning with "and gently lead those that are with young". Oh that I may rest in His leading me...carrying me...gently and tenderly caring for me as I care for the children He has gifted me with...pouring grace in abundance on me...HE cares! I so often sprint forward in life forgetting I NEED HIM and He wants to lead me if I would just follow!

I was also challenged this morning by my reading in Matthew 18. One of my great downfalls is my anger...impatience...self-centeredness...and my selfish-ambition and how this effects the way I treat my children daily. I admit these shortcomings not to air my sinfulness, but to confess an area of my life that the LORD is working in me. I want to change. I want to honor the LORD in my parenting and training of His children, but I certainly NEED HIM to change me. I was struck with a healthy fear this morning as I read verses 5 through 6...

Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Ouch! Now obviously I know I am covered by His grace everyday, but I also see the warning against causing "little ones to sin" by tempting them and neglecting or demeaning them (18: 7-14). I so often exasperate them, point out the negative (very critical) and use harsh words and body language that show forth annoyance and frustration...complete opposite of "gentleness". It disgusts me and I think I have taken too lightly my call and the influence the Lord has given me. So this Scripture struck fear in me, but coupled with Isaiah 40:11 I know He is gently leading me. I am praying for a godly sorrow that leads to repentance and a holy fear of God.

What a gracious God to give us His Word to teach us, rebuke us, encourage us and challenge us. How gracious of Him to give us His Spirit to help us and most of all how gracious of Him to sacrifice His Son that I may be forgiven. Oh what a God we serve! May I through grace apply His Word...to be a doer of His Word and rest in His promises as I continue on in my pilgrimage.

The hymn the kids and I are currently singing daily is so fitting for the many lessons and Truths the LORD is teaching me on thankfulness, joy, depending on Him and His grace that sustains me.

Come, thou fount of every blessing

Come, thou fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
here by thy great help I've come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.


1 comment:

  1. I think you are an amazing woman. God's work in your life is evidenced by your response to His word. He will finish what He has begun in His time, and sanctification is by grace. It is already completely done. He will lead you, and He is a better leader than you are a follower, Trust Him. The future is only as bright as what He has promised...

    ReplyDelete