Monday, March 1, 2010

Hankie Quilt Progress


My supplies are as follows:

Old Hankies - at least 58 of them
13 yards of bone colored fabric for the front
13 yards of taupe colored fabric for the back
13 yards of Warm & Natural Cotton Batting
20 yards of Wonder-Under to adhere hankies to squares for extra security during sewing
2 - spools of cream thread (1000 yards)
Handy Dandy Rag Quilt Scissors to snip the edges around each square after assembling
Here are some up close pictures of a few of the first eight squares I have finished. And then a couple more of them lined up to get an idea of what they will look like. I will need a total of 56 squares for the quilt itself, and then two extras to apply to decorative pillows. So, that means 8 squares down and 48 squares to go! Everything is fairly easy, but some things are quite time consuming...such as the large amounts of cutting, cutting the Wonder-Under for each hankies and ironing it on and applying it to the squares of fabric, and the stitching around the fancy edges of some of the hankies...extra care must be taken. I'm so glad I decided to use an adhesive to secure the hankies to each square. I believe sewing them onto the squares would have been much more difficult. I think the hankies would move without it.





I think it is going to be beautiful when it is all finished. Especially when the taupe colored fabric on the back is outlining each square. Can't wait...I'll keep y'all posted on the progress!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait to see progress pics!!!
    Man, I remember visiting you when you guys lived on 2nd St. when you were still making your first patchwork quilt. Time flies!

    When we move, I was planning on getting some hankies and sewing them together for a cafe curtain in the kitchen.
    Didn't you used to use aprons as curtains in your kitchen?

    Miss you!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete